Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Domo Arigato Mr. Chatboto

Hey Gang,

I had a fun experience recently... I was in an intense text messaging conversation with a perspective new employer, things were going  great and I just knew this company was going to be a fantastic fit for the both of us.  As with most of my professional interactions, we engaged in a 45 minute back and forth of "You stop texting first. No, you stop texting first." To my surprise I later found out that I was communicating with a chatbot the whole time!

What is a Chatbot?

I know many of you are scratching your head right now and thinking, 'Cathy Gainer Corporate Trainer, what in the world are you talking about?  You say the craziest things. I have never heard of this term.  What does this have to do with training? No one reads your blog!'

Well, let me explain. I learned that companies have automated programs that are designed to interact with job seekers by texting general information and setting up mundane appointments so the Human Resource people can get back do doing what they do best...gently telling me that I'm not going to get hired.

Why Use a Chatbot

Many companies feel that artificial intelligence can handle answering multiple questions and perform scheduling tasks easier than with a real person.  The chatty robots have endless patience and would never say, "Please stop asking me the same question...No you can't get paid with vacation time during your initial interview." (I didn't get that job.)

Are We Losing Our Humanity?

This is a deep question.  Are we, as a culture, becoming too dependent on technology?  Have we forsaken eye contact, handshakes and the power of a smile for a more streamlined workplace?  Are we someday going to become more computer than person?  I Googled all of these questions and it said we should be OK! Whew, what a relief.

Stay Awake Kids! (Or Reboot if you get too tired.)

Cathy Gainer Corporate Trainer






No comments:

Post a Comment